Inside BBS Awards 2019 - One day with Rory Hoy - Interview


In conversation with Rory Hoy



Rory Hoy is a Multi- Award Winning Music Producer/Film Maker and DJ. He was the Winner of the Yorkshire Young Achiever of the Year Award 2012 hosted by ITV, in the Arts Category, which he won alongside actor Mikey North who plays Gary Windass in Coronation St. He has 5 critically acclaimed albums under his belt on Freddy Fresh’s Howlin’ Records label (USA) and numerous singles, EPs, remixes and collaborations on various labels worldwide. 
His first album ‘Cosmic Child’, mostly chillout and ambient beats, is regularly played as background music in USA on various American airlines and in department stores such as Macy’s. His second album ‘Standing on Dust’, more funky breaks, included tracks played on the PRS Dance Podcast and featured regularly on Craig Charles’ BBC6 Music ‘Funk & Soul Show’, and his new tracks continue to be played by Craig on his show. Rory was featured in the PRS ‘M’ magazine as a rising new talent and has seen praise from artists such as Fatboy Slim, Afrika Bambaata, Craig Charles, Mr Scruff, DJ Cam, Fake Blood, Ali Shaheed Muhammad from A Tribe Called Quest among others.


INTERVIEW:

BBS AWARDS 2019 

Hello and welcome to BBS AWARDS 2019
Today I have been joined by super DJ and producer Rory Hoy.
Hi! Nice to have you here in BBS Awards.


What are some words you would use to describe this year (2019)?

I’ve had a great year, with new releases, collaborations, remixes, lots of DJ gigs at festivals, and a new publication released in the form of a ‘Bookazine’ called ‘The Story of Big Beat’ - It’s a new version of my successful book last year ‘The Little Big Beat Book’, but this time, in magazine form with lots more exclusive colour photos. I have to say, also this time last year in December, I was invited to meet Sir Paul McCartney backstage before his gig in Glasgow! I was also invited to the soundcheck and to his show - he was amazing and such a lovely guy!

Can you tell us what you like best about your favorite track produced in 2019?

I don’t really have a specific favourite track that I produced this year, as I don’t really have favourite tracks of mine, but I really enjoyed the collaborations I’ve done this year with many great singers and other producers. To be honest, I’m fortunate to work with a lot of very talented people, so I can’t really pinpoint any specific track, as I really enjoyed making all of them!

Can you tell us about the new project you will be working on in 2020?

I have quite a few new projects in the pipeline. This includes a new single with the wonderful Ashley Slater (from Freakpower with Fatboy Slim), a House single with Jet Boot Jack, a collaboration with Streamer, a House EP, a remix for Ursula 1000, a remix album for Sir Vere, a new EP with Under Influence and a new album, which is a return to the style of my first album (2008’s Cosmic Child) - Exciting times!

Imagine walking inside the studio; please, can you speak to me through a typical day? What are your habits?

I have two recording studios that I work in. Downstairs is where I have all my computers and DJ gear, and upstairs is more traditional with guitars, keyboards, recording devices, microphones etc. My tracks are always a combination of both, and I don’t really have a typical day - I just work each day in the studio, and if I’m feeling productive, I can work very long hours!

How will you choose the software and add-ons you use?

For me, It’s not really about what software and add ons you use, but how you use them. You can create the most amazing track in the world just by using the most primitive of domestic gear. I enjoy using Ableton and Audacity.

Are you an avid believer of learning an instrument?

My dad is a very gifted and successful musician, but beyond a little bit of guitar and keyboards and bass, my strengths are more on the IT and production side and DJ-ing/Scratching. 

What is the only piece of DJ / production equipment that you can not live with?

Ableton, obviously!

So what are your thoughts on technology aiding the technique of DJing?

I don’t mind technology, as long as people don’t use the auto sync feature for beat matching, as I feel it takes away any real skill in DJ-ing, and it opens the doors for anyone to say 
“Hey, I’m a DJ now!”. it actually does take a lot of practising, dedication and skill to be a successful DJ - not just someone who puts on one record after the other, but is also an entertainer, personality and selects the right tunes for the right audience. I don’t pre-plan my set beyond the first few tracks, and I like a smooth transition from A to B. I enjoy mashing disparate tracks together and surprising people and I might drop one track in the middle of another to make people smile!

Any artists / DJs / producers in particular that really influenced you?

Easily the old Big Beat gang such as Fatboy Slim, Freddy Fresh, The Wiseguys, The Chemical Brothers etc. In fact, they influenced me so much, I wrote a book about them last year, as mentioned previously called ‘The Little Big Beat Book’ - my pride and joy! I interviewed 120 artists of the time including Fatboy and The Prodigy, and the book got to No.1 in the Amazon Music Book Charts overtaking Neil Tennant from The Pet Shop Boys!

What is the music scene like at this moment in your country?

I’m not a great person for following current chart trends, but it needs more Funk and Big Beat. There are amazing records, that come out every day . . even the odd Chart/Pop tune once in a blue moon!

Often, certain cities are related to certain sounds and sub-genres. Do you think that living in your city is reflected in your music?

Probably not, as I live in a smaller rural town - we do have excellent DJ’s and bands here, and also in neighbouring cities like Leeds (Kaiser Chiefs, Corinne Bailey Rae etc). I feel what I do is a mixture of Liverpool of the 1960’s, Bronx in the 70’s mashed with Paris and Brighton of the 1990’s, and whatever else I’m into that day!


Best

Rory Hoy

No comments:

Post a Comment