Inside BBS Awards 2019 - One day with Basschimp - Interview

Inside BBS Awards 2019 - One day with Basschimp - Interview




Hello Basschimp!
Thank you so much for taking time to do an Interview with us .



What are some words you would use to describe this year (2019)?

Honestly 2019 has been a really tough year for me.  I'm pleased with the music I've put out this year, but otherwise it's been a bit of a rough ride.  I'm hoping next year will be better, and hopefully with more & better music too!


Can you tell us what you like best about your favorite track produced in 2019?

Well I'm a real fan of the blues/glitch hop sound and I finally made a track I'm really proud of in that space, featuring one of my friends on guitar.  Should be coming out next year.

Can you tell us about the new project you will be working on in 2020?

I've formed a drum & bass duo project with DJ Prime Cuts who's a good friend of mine.  We're called Lethal Combination and we should be playing a few festivals & releasing our first EP next year.

Imagine walking inside the studio; please, can you speak to me through a typical day? What are your habits?

Haha, a typical day is me trying to convince myself to work on music.  I really struggle to motivate myself and that's the main barrier.  It's hard fitting in producing alongside the day job when DJing and stuff has been so slow over the past year or two.  Generally I sit down with a specific idea in mind to finish a track or work on a new idea.  I keep a list of all my ideas online and work on them when I can.

How will you choose the software and add-ons you use?

I always use Ableton and I enjoy Massive & Serum.  I also have Komplete so I use Rounds and Kontakt from there.  Between those things I can usually get the sounds I want, so I dont really "choose", I just work.

Are you an avid believer of learning an instrument?

Yes, I think it's better to be familiar/expert with less tools than vague with lots of tools, and I think that's quite widely accepted.

What is the only piece of DJ / production equipment that you can not live with?

That I can't live with?  Or that I can't live without?

Can't live with: nothing Im pretty easy going.
Can't live without: headphones!  Got a new pair this year (B&W P7s) and have really brought back my enjoyment of casual listening

So what are your thoughts on technology aiding the technique of DJing?

I think technology and music have always intersected & driven one another.  Look at e.g. hip hop & the sampler/drum machine, synth pop, dubstep & soft synths.  DJing is the same.  Mixes that are commonplace nowadays would have been impossible on 2 deck vinyl.  Crowds are getting more used to complex seamless mixing and I think it would be hard to replicate that without modern technology.

Any artists / DJs / producers in particular that really influenced you?

So many!  Hong Kong Ping Pong really opened my eyes to multigenre.  JFB always makes me wish I was a turntablist.  Stickybuds' Fractal Forest mixes are masterpieces in selection & preparation.  Hellfish, Weasel Busters for the high energy vibe.  Hixxy both as a DJ and a producer.  On the pure producer side I really like Skope for glitch hop I still think no-one else has really topped him.  Stickybuds' new album is fantastic as well.

What is the music scene like at this moment in your country?

It's great!  DNB has never been more popular and that's awesome to see.  Shindig has created a real home for breaks & funk/bass in the UK which is great for me as I'm real supporter of that scene.  UK also has a great rave scene.  I do miss the hardcore though, but that's still around in the North :)

Often, certain cities are related to certain sounds and sub-genres. Do you think that living in your city is reflected in your music?

I think so, yes.  Often when I'm collabing with friends they say I'm always trying to make it too ravey.  Guess that's what you get growing up in Brighton always chasing the next free party.  I do envy the Bristol scene as there's a lot more on the glitch/ghetto funk sound over there.  Still, love Brighton & would be honoured if people thought my music reflected any of my favourite city :)


No comments:

Post a Comment